Followers

Monday, September 5, 2011

Autumn is just around the corner

Thanks to my wonderful friend, I had a chance to harvest her (her husband's) field today.
Just after the heavy rain caused by the typhoon, I felt the air became fresh and clean and autumn is just around the corner.

Rice field has turned yellow to wait for the harvest time. I heard some ducks quacking in a rice field. It looks like an organic duck farm which leaves ducks as fertilizer instead of chemical one. I just heard their quacking  but I couldn't see them because the rice has already grown very tall.

Today's harvest:  four figs, two yellow melons, three eggplants, a lot of green peppers, green and red shiso Japanese basil. Now I'm thinking of making shiso juice. I need to check how to make it on the Internet.
Rich in vitamin C.

Well, Typhoon #12 has passed Honshu main island with big damage left.  Sadly, up to the present time, 31 people were killed and 55 are missing.
It made me realize again that Japan is a natural disaster-prone country.

6 comments:

  1. Hello Setsukosan!

    I'm glad that you and your family are fine.
    I've heard about the big Typhoon and I came to check if everything is alright.
    Very nice blog by the way. oh what is a Shiso? a fruit?

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to tell you that the ducks kept in the firm can't survive after having a rice harvest.
    They're brought to the market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leila, thank you for your concern. I'm perfect all right.
    Shiso is a popular Japanese herb with a strong scent. There are two types: red shiso and green one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tsuyama-san, is it "killing two birds with one stone", right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like several countries are having weather related disasters this summer. Hurricanes, typhoons, floods, wildfires, lots of damage and distruction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ila, yes, it sure is. I think "2011" should be remembered from the point of natural disasters.

    ReplyDelete